With Ash Wednesday now upon us, you may have decided to give up some savory, melty deliciousness until Easter. Lent is a time of sacrifice, part of which means giving up meat...but that doesn't mean that you have to give up on good eating.
And no, you can put the fish sticks away.
Pizza During Lent
If you gave up pizza in its entirety...you'll want to scroll past this section.
Pizza shops often see sales spike during Lent as it's cheaper than seafood, but patrons tend to shift to ordering an extra cheese veggie pie instead of pepperoni. And let's be honest, you could get anchovies, but why would you want to?
Pizza is a great meatless option for a lot of reasons:
- Serving pizza for Lent goes down well with children.
- Pizza is convenient (hellooooo online ordering and delivery)
- Lot's of non-meat topping options
- Veggies are totally good for you, right?
- Two words: Extra Cheese.
Lent Friendly Sandwiches
Sure McDonalds has their Filet-O-Fish, and other quick service franchises are also offering fish sandwich options (see: Chick-fil-A), but there are also SO many meatless sandwich varieties that are both tasty and satisfying.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly...beloved by adults and children alike
- Grilled cheese. You can even find gourmet grilled cheese shops and food trucks serving up this popular dish.
- Tuna Salad or Egg Salad sandwiches make sure you still get your protein in
Other Delicious Options
- Sushi (If you're sticking with the seafood route, it's easy to find a local joint with delivery or carry out service for convenience)
- Pasta. It's easy to cook, everybody loves it, and there are endless ways to combine noodles, cheese, and sauces both at home or during a night out.
- Soup and Salad. Tomato and Caesar? Potato and wedge? Mix and match for a quick and easy lunch. Be sure to pass on the bacon bits, though.
So the good news is you can stay true to your Lent commitments without sacrificing flavor or convenience. Take the opportunity to find a new local restaurant that you don't normally venture to, or even try that exotic sushi roll you have always been curious about.