This week, Iceland's President made headlines. Not because of any sort of political scandal, but because he casually joked during a visit to a high school that pizzas made with pineapple should be outlawed. The subsequent media frenzy has taught us that there are two kinds of people in this world...those who agree with him, and those who think fruit on your pizza is a good idea.
Now as it turns out, people take their pizza toppings VERY personally, and the President's casual joke reignited a time honored debate as to whether pineapple is a delicious addition to a pizza, or a disgusting travesty accosting the taste buds. Obviously people feel very strongly about this topic, as the story quickly went viral across social networks and media outlets all over the world.
Since we're in the pizza business, we also wanted to get to the heart of this debate. A quick poll showed that when it comes to this particular pizza preference, there is almost no neutral ground, and the debate is tearing us apart! (Okay not really, but people have feelings about it!)
- If you add the ham in true Hawaiian pizza form, it's hard to resist the sweet and savory flavor combo
- Fruit is healthy, so you can totally justify enjoying that extra slice, right? Plus, Vitamin C!
- Pineapple as a topping holds up when you're digging into those cold leftovers
If you're ordering for your family, there are likely others who are not #TeamPineapple, so that means you don't have to share (this one I can attest to personally...)
- You might offend the Italians
- Pineapple really limits your topping variety options. Anything other than pepperoni or ham is probably not a good flavor combo.
- Members of #TeamNoPineapple will most certainly judge you
- More calories (then again, if you're eating pizza, this might be moot)
Extra topping charges...the struggle is real.
So maybe you like Pineapple...but not on your pizza. Maybe you try to get by picking the pineapple off, but have been traumatized because there's inevitably that one piece that gets stuck in the cheese and the rest of the slice is ruined. Or just maybe, you're about to call up your favorite pizza joint to order a Hawaiian pie right now.
Either way, you've made your choice. Which side are you on?